There are so many ways to prepare a hamburger. Over the years, I’ve found out what works and what doesn’t. Here is my ‘recipe’ for the perfect burger…
- Whatever meat you choose, fresh is always best.
- I always love an 8oz patty.
- I like Prime Rib and Angus beef burgers..
- Have at least 20% fat in your ground beef (add bacon fat if you like)
- Cooked on an open flame is best ! No flat top please !
- I don’t like greasy burgers.
- Must be real cheddar (I prefer one slice, but shredded is good too).
- Please no American Cheese (i.e. processed).
- The bun must be big and strong enough to hold the burger; however, you don’t want it to over power the burger. At the same time, you don’t want a bun that falls apart.
- This is where it gets very particular. Everyone has different tastes, but here are mine.
- I like crispy iceburg lettuce, a couple slices of tomato and fresh avocado (no guacamole, unless it’s made in-house)
- If I can’t get avocado, I will get pickles and onions.
- Crispy bacon in 2 rows.
- For sauces, the standard mayo is good, but something with a little zing is preferable, like maybe a cajun aioli !
- If I can’t get avocado, I will get mustard and ketchup.
- You don’t want a side to ruin your masterpiece, so don’t use just plain fries. Cut them thick in house, double fry and season to perfection with sea salt. A house-made ketchup will give you bonus stars!